Popular Posts

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Concerned!!!

I am concerned how Jamaica's name, its talent, its people are house hold names across the globe. Things like our music and of course our dance among other things. However, what I am trying to get at is the fact that I was watching a music video recently sung by Willow Smith called "Whip my hair". She is an adorable child and of course I did enjoy the video, mi nah lie, it bad!! But what got me is the dance routine that was used in the video.

If you should take a good look at it one would realized that it is none other than the dutty wine which was done by Tony Matterhorn!! It is a spin off of the original dance routine which showed females flashing their hair and rotating their heads in an almost 360 degrees motion! But my concern is this and you tell me if I am wrong!

Isn't that some kind of piracy? Shouldn't the original owner of this dance routine should get some kind of Monetary allowance or something? If I am correct about this, it therefore means that Mr. Matterhorn is losing out big time!!

You know what hurts me the most, is the fact that they didn't even acknowledge that the root of this dance is Jamaican!! Jamaica's talents are being emulated, packaged and sold around the world by none native people and making huge sums of money and yet none is passing our way. Hmm, I wonder why is that?!
I think our country needs to have a firm footing where copyrights is concerned.

Come on we need to wake up, wake up man we sleep too much!!! Damn it!

I don't" know if you might remember a few years back when Kartel used a renowned rhythm from Ne-Yo's song "Miss Independent" and created the famous "Romping Shop". Can you tell me what happened?
Yes indeed, they told Kartel that he should desist from playing his song on their rhythm because there was no formal agreement between him(Kartel) and the recording company. You see how life funny?!

And yet here we are again, they are using our dance, twisting it up and passing it off as if it their original idea. Our culture is being ripped away from us little by little, we soon nuh have none left fi wi pickney dem fi feed from.

  • Yes i am concerned how we as Jamaicans can sit by and watch as our legacy is being ripped from under our feet!
  • I am concerned how we sit and allow the world to package, produce and sell our culture, my culture, our children's culture, our forefathers culture and we sit by and watch and say "cho a nuh nuttn dat" and at the sane time we are embracing other cultures and giving ours away!!
  • I am concerned what our forefathers might be thinking. Jamaica is this what they fought for? Are you saying that Nanny catch bullets with her rare end so that we can allow other nations to invade and become imposters of our heritage!
  • I am concerned that if our forefathers were alive today they would definately die in his century as their blood, sweat and tears were in vane!

So my question is this, what do you think we can do to prevent our our history, our culture, our heritage, our Jamaica, My Jamaica from crumbling from under our feet!!!

Just so you know I am open to corrections.

Thank you

Copyright © 2011. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. True words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i fully agree with u we nee to be acknowledge when our creativity and culture is being used instead of it being abused

    ReplyDelete
  3. well said this has been going on a long time this is good observation

    ReplyDelete